In partnering with a contractor, it is vital that you find a professional firm with experience and credentials whom you can trust and who makes you feel comfortable with the entire process, from start to finish. Your home is one of the most valued assets – financially and emotionally. With that at stake, would you trust your home to just anyone?
Start by doing your homework researching contractors you are considering. You are looking for a contractor that is a good fit for you and your project. Some standard things to look for in a professional contactor are:
- How established is their businesses and do they have a proven track record and customers to contact for referrals
- Do they conduct business professionally by returning phone calls/emails timely and have established business practices and protocols that don’t vary by customer
- Use professional business documents for estimates, contracts and invoices
- Display their actual work on their marketing materials, websites and other social media pages and not purchased pictures or pictures from product lines they sell
- Carry insurance, including auto, workers’ compensation and general liability with a minimum of $1,000,000 in coverage limits
- Have employees on the project rather than just subcontractors completing all the work
- Have their Lead-Safe certification if your home was built before 1978, as well as any other necessary and/or applicable safety certifications
- Are members of professional organizations, such as the National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI), the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and their local Chambers of Commerce
- Demonstrated dedication to the building and remodeling industry through advanced education or certifications
In Wisconsin all contractors must be registered with the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services. Check to see if any contractor you are considering has their Dwelling Contractor and Dwelling Contractor Qualifier Credentials/License here www.app.wi.gov/licensesearch. Welhouse Construction Services, LLC Dwelling Contractor Credential/License ID is 2600 and Paul Welhouse’s Dwelling Contractor Qualifier Credential/License ID is 1131747.
Interview the Contractor
Select a couple (two or three) contractors you would like to speak to about your project. Call them and discuss your project and to possibly set up a in-home or at their office complementary consultation. The goal is hire one to design and price your project for you. During your talks with the contractor or designer you are looking for professionals in their line of work – well educated, credentialed, experienced, insured, trustworthy and likeable. The better the your working relationship with the professional contractor/designer the better the overall project, experience, budget and end result will be.
Inquire about their staff and who will be working on your project. Building or remodeling requires a firm that not only has the experience, but the personnel to handle the project you are interested in completing. A team of employees, happy and secure in their jobs, provide the best service and product to customers. By having our employees on each job, enables us to manage multiple projects simultaneously, while maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction. Meet our team.
A good building, remodeling or design professional educates clients on green remodeling, universal design, lead safety, new products, building technique and trends. Make sure you’re hiring someone who has knowledge and expertise relevant to the industry and your project.
Most remodeling and building projects go over budget because estimates are high level and not specific to the clients wants, fees are accessed due to changes throughout the project and an unforeseen cost reserve was not planned for and needed. Homeowners need to have a good understanding of how their contractor/designer is determining their estimate, handling change orders and potential unforeseen costs. At Welhouse Construction we show you what the final project result will look like, tell you the cost and how long it will take before we start. During our project development phase we spend quality time understanding our clients’ needs and wants. We set priorities and work together to keep the focus on the project scope. We also take the time to educate each client on their options so they can make wise choices. The detailed planning process, decisions upfront and an unforeseen cost reserve makes our customers very comfortable they won’t go over budget. At Welhouse Construction, we have developed a comprehensive approach to estimating and delivering our projects which has proven to be highly effective. The cornerstone of this process is communication and begins with Our Process.
We understand the importance of partnering with a building, remodeling or design professional that will earn your trust and help you realize your vision and make a statement for your home or business. We have been serving customers for over 110 years and pride ourselves on the long-term relationships developed through sound business practices and fiscal responsibility. Welhouse Construction Service, attempts to control and justify overhead in terms of our offices and employees while not sacrificing the quality and service the customer deserves.
Learn about our design remodel build process. Join our e-mail list, and/or send us information about your project here. Or you can simply call us at 920-766-1345. We look forward to meeting and working with you!